Thursday, September 15, 2005

Shopping, Swearing In and Farewells

Today was our last full day in China. What better way to start if off than...shopping! REturned to my favorite spot, the Jade Market. Its a great place for photo ops and full of interstting things to buy beside Jade like old coins, antiques, interesting jems and jewlery. This time Melanie from Menlo Park, Toni, Wayne and Gabby joined Chloe and me. I loved shopping with Melanie as we both seem to love shopping AND we enjoy arsty type of things -- so we shopped until the last possible moment. My most exciting acquision was a binder FULL of interesting collage items with interesting and colorful graphics. I was so excited to buy the entire collection I was shaking! IfI had purchased them in the states I would have paid 10 times as much. What a deal...now I'll have to carve out some time to use them.

In the afternoon all the families went to the US Consulate to swear that all the documentation we submitted for our children was true. They gave us our visas and told us that when our babies touch American soil they will officially become citizens. I had thought the swearing in was when they became citizens -- look like we will have to wait to tomorrow until that happens. What an exciting moment that will be -- and we will be reunited with our family.

In the eveining we all mounted the busses and headed out to the restauraunt where they held the farewell party. After taking a group picture in front of a billboard for Deng Chou Peng we entered Party Central. We had a feast that started with a shot of rice wine. Man these USAA people sure enjoy their alcohol. After the rounds of drinks, the USAA staff gave each child a gift and a Chinese lullaby CD -- how sweet! Next came the blaring disco music. Everyone stood up and boogied to the beat and cheered. We even did the congo line -- it's hte first congo line i had seen with strollers!

One of the songs they introduced as the USAA song for the parents and childen. It was a song by a pop Australian band that I had never hear of that's lyrics made me squeeze Chloe tight and start to cry. The lyrics said something about being in my heart and soul and brought me out of the party frenzy for a moment. We have been having such a great time visiting China -- as the USAA team has worked hard to show us a great time -- but the greatest and most lasting treasure is our little girl!

I am packing now and may not have time to update more until I return.

China has certainly been a great place to visit. I think I am most struck by the kindness of the people. Though we are strangers, I think I have felt more welcome here than any other place I have visited. I will have to come back -- at least to show Chloe and Caleb more of this beautuful place -- or maybe if God leads to adopt another precious angel.

See you all when we get home.